Sunday, February 3, 2008

My biggest weakness

Perhaps it shows my age, but when I started preparing for job interviews, one of the favourite questions of employers was "What is your biggest weakness?". My answer, which I got a kick out of, was that sometimes I am too task-committed.

In a conversation with Greg this week, I formulated a different answer: "My biggest weakness is that I find too many things interesting." There has been a lot written lately about getting control of the time spent on Blackberry-like devices, with an RSS reader, using Twitter, Facebook or whatever. The trick must be that the time should be spent in a way that reflects our values, improves our character and connects us with folks we care about or can learn something from.

Which brings me to the quote that is the byline to McGee's Musings:

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker, (attributed)
US author, humorist, poet, & wit (1893 - 1967)

1 comment:

Doug said...

I wouldn't worry about it, Ross. You might consider that it's a big asset as opposed to a weakness. Chances are, with your attitude, you'll never say "That's good enough...and then move on".